The National Consumers League seeks a motivated communications associate/new media specialist with excellent writing, interpersonal, and graphic design skills and demonstrated success with social media to serve within the communications department. The League (www.nclnet.org) is a national nonprofit organization that protects and promotes social and economic justice for consumers and workers in the United States and abroad, focusing on such issues as telemarketing and Internet fraud, food and drug safety, and fair labor standards.
The associate’s primary responsibility will be to help develop and implement NCL’s public education and advocacy efforts through online communications, print publications, and media outreach. Under the direction of the Vice President for Communications, the communications associate / new media specialist will assist in public relations efforts and work closely with program and development staff. This new position will be integral to carrying out NCL’s organizational goals regarding expanding online advocacy and fundraising.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate: the ability to produce clean, interesting copy quickly and efficiently; excellent critical thinking and organization skills; an eye for graphic design, a keen understanding of the media, expertise on planning and executing social media strategies; and the ability to take initiatives to help expand the communications department’s efforts. The League has a variety of programs that address diverse topics areas; organizing the different communications needs and efforts of program staff, especially with regard to social media, will be a core responsibility.
Estimated break-down of functions as follows:
- Publicist (media outreach and monitoring; assistance with marketing materials): 25 percent
- Writen and online communications (authoring and editing content for Website, blogs, newsletters; managing social media strategies and outreach; working with others on online advocacy and fundraising efforts); May be responsible for editing and maintaining multiple websites: 50 percent
- Administrative and Departmental Support: 25 percent
- Demonstrated commitment to the public interest and to the philosophy and goals of NCL.
- Super organized. Familiarity with content management systems, and graphics and desktop publishing software including PhotoShop and Adobe InDesign required.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Exceptionally strong writing, editing, and oral communication skills.
- At least two years experience in communications, public relations, and/or online grassroots advocacy, with nonprofit experience a plus.
- Solid record of achieving results in social media and experience with media relations.
- Graphic design experience.
- Detail-oriented and able to work well under tight time constraints.
- Flexibility, passion for the issues, superior work ethic, and a sense of humor are essential. Self-starter with excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to think creatively about how to integrate fundraising into social media and online presence.
Salary and Benefits
Salary based on experience and education, competitive with other nonprofit public interest organizations. Excellent benefits, including health, dental, short and long-term disability, life insurance, 401(k), flex time, annual and sick leave, and federal holidays. NCL is an equal opportunity employer.