National Consumers League (NCL) seeks a motivated candidate for the position of health campaign coordinator to help carry out its health policy program and its national medication adherence campaign. He or she will work with the vice president for health policy as well as the executive director of the League. The Coordinator will split their time between managing a national public education campaign to improve medication adherence and representing NCL as a consumer advocate regarding issues such as safe medication use, quality of health care, and comprehensive health coverage. The Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating activities of the national campaign, Script Your Future, with its six regional markets. The objective of the campaign is to increase public awareness of the importance of medication adherence. The League’s health policy work focuses on patient and consumer education projects, convening health forums, and general advocacy efforts. Candidates should have a strong commitment to serving the public interest.
- Help coordinate campaign activities and manage regional field organizers
- Cultivate and coordinate relationships with campaign partner organizations, government agencies and researchers
- Produce monthly campaign updates
- Maintain campaign Web sites for public, health care audience, and partners.
- Draft and strategize dissemination of messages using social media
- Prepare information materials for campaign
- Work closely with Development Department to support funding initiatives
- Work closely with Communications Department to plan and execute public-facing communications about the campaign and health policy issues
- Assist Vice President on other campaign duties as assigned
- Collaborate with other consumer and public interest organizations and coalitions, as well as health professionals from academia, industry, and government on health policy issues
- Author content for NCL Web sites, newsletters, and social media channels
- Write and/or present comments, testimony, and speeches on various health issues
- Appear before federal and state regulatory and legislative agencies
- Represent NCL policies and views to the media
- Possible travel to events or meetings to promote campaign
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 3 -5 years experience working on health care issues, nonprofit communications/public relations, or advanced degree in related field
- Campaign or organizing experience, including working with diverse health care stakeholders
- Social marketing and communication experience strongly recommended, managing a blog or social media activity strongly preferred.
- Experience working with state and local stakeholders and national organization partners
- Knowledge of health care issues and legislation
- Strong and efficient oral and written skills (consumer and technical)
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary groups
- Can work well both independently and with others
- Proficiency in public speaking, project management
- Must be highly comfortable with basic computer software and programs (Mac and PC-based, MS Office Suite) and at ease with learning new systems. Experience working in a content management system (such as Joomla or Wordpress) highly recommended. An eye for graphic design a plus.
- Sense of humor a necessity
- Broad knowledge of federal and state regulatory and legislative processes
- Research skills – qualitative and quantitative skills
Salary based on experience and education, competitive with other nonprofit public interest organizations. Excellent benefits, including health, dental, short and long term disability, life insurance, 401(k), flex time, annual and sick leave, and all federal holidays. NCL is an equal opportunity employer.