By Lisa Hertzberg, LifeSmarts Program Director LifeSmarts is offering an exciting new opportunity for its participants: Safety Smart! Our latest expansion effort and partnership, with Underwriters Laboratories, (UL), is offering teens a chance to focus on health and safety curriculum while giving back through community service. By combining efforts on a joint educational project, LifeSmarts and UL are teaming up to offer LifeSmarts participants a win-win opportunity – students gain new resources to learn about relevant topics and prepare for competition, and demonstrate their leadership skills by providing Safety Smart presentations to young children in their communities. Safety Smart is a program from UL that operates under the philosophy that unintentional injuries are avoidable and preventable when people make smart choices. When Safety Smart Ambassadors share Safety Smart concepts with children, they help raise awareness and inspire action. Safety Smart Ambassadors help cultivate a younger generation of children to be Safety Advocates…Safety Scientists…Safety Smart. Thanks to this new partnership, LifeSmarts participants will gain from UL’s vast research in safety science, which has been used to develop new competition questions, a 50-question TeamSmarts competition, a LifeSmarts U lesson, and team challenges for 2013 live competitions. In addition, we are encouraging LifeSmarts participants to become Safety Smart Ambassadors. Three lessons have been created for LifeSmarts student leaders to teach young children about the benefits of ‘going green’ and being ‘healthy and fit.’ We’re providing the tools; now it’s up to our student participants to get out there in their communities to make a difference! The LifeSmarts Safety Smart Ambassador program is:
- Quick and easy – each lesson is designed as a 30 minute presentation
- Fun – Timon and Pumbaa from Disney’s The Lion King introduce the topics in DVDs available free to Student Ambassadors
- Educational – young children will gain knowledge about important environmental and health and safety topics, and high school students will learn along with them
- Satisfying – LifeSmarts participants will have the opportunity to provide a quality, interactive lesson to younger children, serving as mentors and demonstrating leadership in their community
- A great fit – Many students are required to do community service, participate in service learning, or complete a senior project – the Safety Smart Ambassador program helps meet all of these requirements
- Turnkey – everything you need to get started is in one place:www.lifesmarts.org/SAFETYSMART
- Rewarding –Students who participate in the LifeSmarts Safety Ambassador program may be eligible to win prizes and scholarships. See: www.lifesmarts.org/SAFETYSMART/PRIZES to learn more.